Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

A Flash Back Moment

Sorry about the blurry picture, I'm having camera problems.

The other day I was cutting these little belt loops off a blouse when I had one of those deja vu or flashback-moments.

I was back in Mrs. Roberts 5
th grade class at Wasatch Elementary. I was out on the playground, and after chasing and catching a boy, had just scored another "gant" strap for my collection.

In 1964 "
Gant" brand shirts were the cool thing. Or at least we thought they were. When one of the boys we liked got a new Gant shirt, it was our goal to be the first to pull his "gant strap" off. Here is a picture of a gant strap.
Can you imagine a mother's consternation when she would send her son to school with a new shirt and he would come home with the little strap on the back ripped off? Probably with a hole in it. How did he explain it?

I wish I had asked Gary's mom if she remembered that happening, since his was one of the straps I pulled off. (In 5
th grade he was "3rd on my list" of boys I liked)

It was quite the status symbol to collect as many straps as we could. What my friends and I did with the straps was use them for hair ties on our Troll Dolls. Something like this.

All those memories,
just because I cut off some little belt loops.

And, I'm by no means suggesting
this activity to anyone
(particularly not my grandchildren).

3 comments:

tingey said...

Annette.....that only happened to those who would sport the "Gant" shirt, but if you were a Lewis or a Duke, Tee-shirts were all we new and loved with no "Gant" staps.

PS; I guess there are more ways to skin a cat!!!!!

Misty B. said...

I always knew you had a rebellious streak!

Pam's Place said...

Annette, I love learning all these new things about you!

I wonder if the Gant strap phenomena was unique to Utah. Never heard of it back in Ohio. Sounds like something I could have gotten excited about as a fifth ro sixth grader.