Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What can't you live without?

I won't be able to attend our Enrichment activity tonight because I'm going to a conference with Gary. It sounds like it will be very fun. The theme is very intriguing.

"What can't you live without?"

Each person is supposed bring it (or something representing it) in a paper bag . Then they'll have 30 seconds to explain it. Excluded are your family and your scriptures.

I was thinking of maybe chocolate, or cake, or bread, or reading. But then I realized that the thing I would miss the very most, and that would have a big impact on my life if I didn't have them, are my hearing aids.

I would live in a very very quiet world without them. My hearing loss is very profound and without them I hear very very little. All the family knows to touch me and then mouth the words very loudly to me when I don't have them in. Even with them in I don't catch a lot of what people are saying, particularly if I'm not looking at them and reading their lips. Whispers just don't work for me. I can't really understand what is being said on TV, even with the volume really loud. Closed captioning has made a world of difference in that way.

I think what I would miss the most without my hearing aids is hearing the little voices of my grandchildren and just being able to connect with people. I'm very, very grateful that I live in a time when there is the technology that makes hearing possible for me.


So, have you been thinking?

What can't you live without?

3 comments:

tingey said...

you are saying that you can live without cupcakes, I was sure you would say "CUP CAKES"

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You were missed. It just wasn't as fun without you there.

Misty B. said...

A very good question indeed! I think I'd have to say my planner. I know this doesn't surprise any of you.