Crinkled Oranges

Friday, June 26, 2009

Rear Ender

We got a call from Natalie tonight while on our Friday night Costco run. She told us that on her way home from work that she was rear ended on the freeway. It was stop and go traffic, and she had stopped, but the person behind her didn't. We were relieved to hear she wasn't hurt, though she did bump her head on the steering wheel. I have a feeling she'll be sore tomorrow. Her car has just a slight dent right in the middle, mostly on the license plate. She said the other car was much worse.

When she called 911 to report it, they transferred her to highway patrol, who told her that if the cars are still operational and there are no injuries, that they do not come out. That's the first time I've heard that. I guess it makes sense, particularly in rush hour traffic. They told her to exchange all the insurance and contact information, which she did.

After any accident like that, there is first the sinking feeling in your stomach, and then relief that everyone is OK. Sometime I'll write the story about when Natalie ran into a house (yes a house) after she had only had her license for a week. It deserves a chapter all of its own.

I had my first accident when I was in high school. A woman ran a red light on Canyon Road down by the stadium. She hit me on the driver's side and pushed my car into the one in the next lane. The car was totaled, but my friend and I were just shaken up. I remember crying when I called Dad to tell him, but his only response was to ask if I was alright and to reassure me that that was the only thing that mattered. I've always remembered that reassuring response and try to remember to give the same type of response when I'm informed of a problem or accident.

So Natalie, we're just glad you are alright. And we're also glad you didn't run into another house.

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Tell Natalie I hope she is ok and that I would refer her to a good lawyer if I knew one. My kids helped me create a blog. Check it out at Wheresmyputter.blogspot.com. I am
excited to see you soon. Tom

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are nicer than I am. When my kids wrecked my car the first words out of my mouth was, "How is my car?" After all, they were calling so they must be okay, right? But the car cannot call. My poor car.

tingey said...

look what you have done....now there is another blog I have to read. I was talking to my brother the other day and he know's Tom from the basketball days when he played at BYHigh and Tom was at provo. It is a small world? Nat, I love you, I hope your ok.....who would I call for beetle music? You guy's have fun at Dan and Misty's.