Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, April 5, 2009

General Conference Tradition

Sometimes we are creating traditions without even realizing it.

When Natalie was about 4 years old,
our friend and neighbor, Eileen,was her Primary teacher.
Eileen told me how in class,
as they were talking about General Conference,
that Natalie said something to this effect:
"That's the day we always have cinnamon rolls for breakfast."
She didn't say anything about listening to talks,
but she did remember the cinnamon rolls.

Well, I didn't remember that we always had cinnamon rolls,
but I thought I better make them so as not to disappoint Natalie.
So, I made cinnamon rolls.
You know, the kind that you roll out, sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on,
roll back up, cut, bake, and frost.
It turned out that those were not what she had in mind.

She remembered these:



What I know of as Butterscotch Butter Balls.

Well, that was the last time I made that mistake.
Now, without fail, this is our breakfast tradition
on General Conference Sunday.
Every once in a while I almost forget to get the frozen rolls out
and prepare them so they can rise over night, but so far I haven't.
That would be criminal!

I think I got started too early last night,
as this is what I found when I went downstairs this morning.



But it worked just fine, anyway.

And guess what?
There are 24 rolls in a pan,
3 of us to eat them,
and they are all gone.

But it's tradition, and we just have to have them.
Besides that, it's not as bad as it sounds.
I don't really eat all of the bread part,
I usually just eat the part that has the good stuff on it.

We may not be too nutritionally fed on General Conference,
but we are so spiritually fed that it makes up for it.

Here is the recipe:

Butterscotch Butter Balls
Makes 8 servings (that's what the recipe says anyway)

24 frozen white dinner rolls
1/2 box butterscotch pudding mix (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

1. About 8 hours or night before, dip rolls in dry pudding mix. Arrange rolls in bundt pan sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining pudding mix over the top.
2. Combine brown sugar and butter and melt in microwave until butter is melted and syrup is formed (about 1 1/2 minutes)
3. Pour over rolls and cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Let rise until double or even with top of pan. Remove wrap.
4. Bake at 350 degrees 30-35 minutes.
5. As soon as you take the rolls out of the oven loosen the sides of the pan with a knife and invert bundt pan onto serving plate.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think this tradition will carry on through many generations! My kids love the "sticky buns." As we were eating them yesterday morning Ashton turned to me and said (in his very diplomatic voice) "Not to be rude or anything Mom, but Grandma Ashton's sticky buns are better." I just can't compete. We also went on a walk tonight and he said "I wish Grandma AShton was our next door neighbor." Me too. Love you and miss you.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are better than I. We didn't have cinnamon rolls for Sunday morning Conference. Probably the traditon that my kids remembered is that Dad fell asleep sometime during confernence.

Unknown said...

Annette.... Now are sticky bun's on your diet? I know there not on Gary's...... Tiffany, tell Ashton that his grandma's sticky buns are not as good as Great Grandma sticky bun's..... If you know what I mean. I'm just glad I was not there..... just looking at the picture I gained 10 lbs, I don't need that?......duke

Jaime and Jen DISH said...

I stumbled upon your blog and it's so cute. I love this recipe...it sounds yummy...going to try it out. Thanks.
Jaime