Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Great Chocolate Cupcake Bake-Off

For all my blogging and cupcake friends:
We've discussed my search for the perfect from-scratch
chocolate cupcake recipe.
I'm not sure why it has to be from-scratch and not from a mix,
as I've used mixes a lot in my life.
However, for some reason I've become a cupcake snob
and feel I am cheating if I use a mix.

Last night at the ward card class Lynn made a suggestion
that was like a light bulb moment for me.
She asked if I have ever just cut the recipe in half when I try a recipe
(suggesting that then I'm not stuck with lots of
cupcakes that I don't like).
Well, the answer was, "No," I haven't.
In fact I'm usually doing my usual 3 to 6 times the recipes
(because somewhere in my mind I'm thinking
that if I'm doing it, I may as well make a lot).

What a novel idea.
Halving or just even just making the quantity the recipe suggests!

So, I took one of the recipes Lynn sent me,
and another one that I've wanted to try.
I just followed the recipe (I just couldn't bring myself to halve it).
While my kitchen is still a mess
(glad no one's home to take a picture)
it didn't take long at all.
And, amazingly, I like both cupcake recipes!

So, I'm asking for volunteers.
I'm going to drop off at your home samples of two different cupcakes.
The one recipe is in the yellow polk-a-dot cupcake liners
and the other in the pink striped liners.
Sorry, no frosting this time.
They must be judged purely on the texture, taste,
and appearance of the cakes themselves.



If you would like cupcakes dropped on your doorstep
and you are willing to be a taste-tester,
please just let me know via this blog, email, or phone call.
All I ask in return is your esteemed opinion.

In the meantime, I'm just glad I found two recipes that I like!

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Please drop them off at my house by tommorow at lunch. The kids would love to try both of them. Annie has said a number of times in the last couple of days "I miss my Grandma Ashton." So, I think cupcakes would be a perfect opportunity for you to just drop in!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, I snarfed one right down before I knew I was taste testing. Now I will have to snarf another one down and a bite of Phil's. The one I ate was good. I don't know which it was and I'm too lazy to go into the kitchen but I will tell you tomorrow. Thanks, Mrs. Cupcake Delivery person. What fun to be part of your sweet test. And I think a picture of the kitchen should have been a must!

Pam's Place said...

Daisy and Oreo put in their request for fish flavored. They (and various and assundry feral friends) passed on the chocolate ones, thank-them-very-much.

And thank YOU very much for including me in your taste test. I will report back as soon as I eat them. (can't before breakfast, my mom always taught me)

Anonymous said...

Roylances like cupcakes

Gary & Eileen said...

Definitely the pink papers!!!
Roylances

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Well, when I got upstairs Phil had eaten TWO of the cupcakes, luckily one of each. He voted for the purple papered one and I do too. Now, frosted it would be even better. I found a recipe for frosting today that looked yummy. Two--yes, two--(8 oz.) pkgs cream cheese, one jar marshmallow creme, I tsp vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar. Wow, it looked good.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

PS Did I say thanks? Thanks, you are a sweetie.

PS Did I send you the Pioneer Woman link about the cupcake pops/bites and how they put chocolate in the molds and then put the bites in the chocolate and it looks like a mini cupcake paper? Very cute.

Unknown said...

Im upset, I went out to my doorstep the other day and there were no cupcakes? If you can't count on your friends for food. "WHO CAN YOU COUNT ON"?