Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Validation

I've been thinking a lot about "validation" lately. Maybe that term has come to mind because of computers, testing, and verifying, which I have certainly been involved with the last few days.

But I'm thinking of "validation" in terms of interactions with people. Everyone, regardless of who they are or what situation they are in, wants to feel "validated." They want to feel that their feelings and thoughts are understood and respected, even if they aren't agreed with.

As I've been in very different settings and had different roles than I'm used to, that thought has just been reinforced to me. So much defensiveness and so much contention can be alleviated if we only remember that.


So I'm reminding myself.

PS And while I wouldn't say today was a "piece of cake"
(that is the last cliche, I promise!)
I will say it went smoothly.
Yeah!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I'm the first to comment on this day. Everyone should see the youtube video on validation. It's about 15 minutes. It will be the best time you've spent in a long while! You'll love it. Let me know what you think. Love, Misty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbk980jV7Ao

Misty B. said...

My last comment was under Lydia's id, oops. Lydia is always checking your blog, she's a regular. Hope your experience gets brighter. Love Misty, again!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Annette, if you EVER need a good dose of validation come to me. I will fill your head with good words about you--all true. I know Father is pleased with you, I know he trusts you, I know he rejoices in the way you dance through life, juggling all the hard things with the fun things, savoring the memories and loving everyone along the way. You are one in a million.