Crinkled Oranges

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Graham Crackers with Icing

These are the first cookies I remember eating.



Mom didn't bake a lot.

She made a white cake with chocolate fudge icing.
She made a boiled raisin cake with brown sugar icing.

I remember pineapple upside down cake a few times.

But I don't remember her baking cookies.

Dad make oatmeal raisin cookies once in awhile.
We did usually have ice cream in the freezer, though.

Strangely enough, ice cream is the one sweet

that I can have around that doesn't tempt me.

Does that support the theory
that
we often want what we don't have?

Anyway, at home when we wanted a sweet treat,
Mom would often make fudge that was poured
onto a
plate and was about one half inch thick.
I remember that on a lot of Sunday evenings.

But, the most common treat we had
was
graham crackers with chocolate icing.
The icing was made with just

cocoa, milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar.

No butter, margarine, or shortening.
Just those ingredients mixed up in a little
cereal bowl
then spread on the graham crackers.
I still get cravings for those little treats.
Eaten with milk, of course.


I had frosting from Natalie's cupcakes,
So, I had to use the leftovers in graham crackers.
That's what Mom always did.
I think I may have liked the graham cracker cookies
as much as the cake.

That's probably a toss-up, though.
After all, they both have chocolate icing.

Gary wants me to make note of the fact
that he likes to squish the crackers together
and lick the frosting that squeezes out.

By the way. How do you take those beautiful food pictures that have the background blurred? I would love to do that, but I don't know if my little snap and shoot digital camera can do it. I guess I'll have to experiment some more.

3 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

We ate these too. I used to send them in my kids lunches until the other kids made fun of them and then I cursed those kids with a pox and we ate graham crackers with frosting at home. We were happy and everyone else was poxie.

Marci said...

Oh, I always loved those! We still make them sometimes and it always reminds me of my mom & Grandma.

Pam's Place said...

I've always wondered what people did with leftover frosting, and this is the answer. Thank you! Those special treats our moms made us when we were little are the very best comfort food.

I'll bet Gary licks the frosting out of the inside of Oreos, too, doesn't he?