Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Idioms and Cliches

Yesterday "the real McCoy" came out in my writing.

I decided to look it up.

"The real McCoy" is an idiom used throughout much of the English-speaking world to mean "the real thing" or "the genuine article" e.g., "he's the real McCoy". It is a corruption of the Scots "The real MacKay", first recorded in 1856 as: "A drappie o’ the real MacKay," (A drop of the real MacKay), and this is widely accepted as the origin.

If you understand all that, then I won't beat about the bush and I'll call a spade a spade. I'll cut to the chase. I felt like a fish out of water at the high school today. I feel like I'm surviving by by the skin of my teeth. And today was just a drop in the bucket compared to what it will be like tomorrow when I'll experience whole kit and kaboodle.

But, I know it will be over before you can say Jack Robinson one hundred times. But that is cold comfort. The die has been cast. I will just have to eat humble pie if I mess up.

But, faith will move mountains, and I have faith that it will all work out. So, I'll quit all the gloom and doom.

And, please, just take everything I've said today with a grain of salt .

(and I only made it to "g" on this website)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/g.html

PS: I know
a picture's worth a thousand words.
But, I don't have any today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Annette..... Is "the real macoy" The same thing as a fish out of water?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I have been reading all kind of things on that site. Thanks. I now know what a "Hairy Eyeball" means. Kind of. Conflicting reports. Fascinating!