Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Time of Miracles and Tender Mercies (Part 3)

Continued from last 2 posts:

When Mom was released from the hospital she was given only one restriction. That when she attended the wedding events, she was to use a wheelchair, so she wouldn't tire out too much. I guess they knew her heart had only so many beats left in it.

Here is Mom as she is being wheeled out of the temple.



Mom did not buy a lot of clothes in her life. (She preferred to buy them for her daughters!) It was such fun for me to go shopping with her to get dresses for the wedding. We went to a shop downtown and found not one, but two, green dresses. One she could wear during the day and the other to the reception. I had to insist she get both, and she finally gave in, but it went against her nature. (Somehow I've never had that problem).

I think you can tell she was adored by her grandchildren.



Everyone had a lot of fun teasing her in the wheelchair.
As I watched it, it was me who just about had a heart attack!



A beautiful shot with both Grandmas



The luncheon was held at a bed and breakfast across from the temple.
We had a slide show at the luncheon that had pictures of
Misty and Dan as they were growing up.
My brother told me later how much Mom had enjoyed that.
Especially the picture of my Dad holding Misty when she was a baby.




The reception that night was beautiful.



Of course the bride and groom were the stars of the night,
but Mom came in a close second.

She was able to visit with her sisters and
almost all her nieces and nephews and grandchildren.
After everything she had been through in the last month,
everyone loved seeing her and visiting with her.







I've always been glad there was some fudge there on the
table for Mom to eat.
That was always her favorite candy.



Once the reception was winding down, we sat and watched as Misty threw the bouquet and the girl cousins sang their "Nobody" song. Singing that song, with choreography, had been a tradition since they were young. Mom had such fun watching them perform that.

I was so happy to be able to sit and visit with Mom during that time. Mom told me how beautiful everything had been. I told her "I'm just so glad you are here." She nodded her head and said, "Me, too." As it was time for Gary and Lynn and Mom to leave, I went out to the car and handed Mom the keys to our house (they were going to drop gifts off there) and told her I would see her in the morning.

Once we got home I wanted to call Mom and get her "
play-by-play" of the whole day. Mom was a wonderful conversationalist and always made astute and interesting observations. But we starting bringing in gifts, and by the time we were done, I thought it was too late to call. I thought we could talk in the morning. I guess that is my only regret. I wish I had called.

The next morning we got the phone call from my brother, Gary. Mom had passed away in the night. They heard her get up sometime around 3:00 am and then heard her go back to bed. When they checked on her at about 7:00, they found her in her bed. Sometime in-between she had gone from a peaceful sleep to a joyous reunion with my Dad.

My brother said the last thing she said
before she went to bed that night was,
"Wasn't this the most perfect day."

For me, it was the most perfect day.
My daughter had gotten married
and my Mom was there to share that day with us.
And though it was so hard to lose her,
we knew that we had been the
recipients of great gifts.
The gift of a Mother's Love
and numerous manifestations of
of Miracles and Tender Mercies.

At Mom's funeral my brothers spoke of Mom's two heart attacks and how, while she had been "out," that Dad had probably been there saying "Come on, I've been without you long enough, you're coming with me." And that Mom said, "No I am not leaving now, I am going to be there for Misty's wedding. I'm not going to let anything spoil that day for them."

I think that is a very likely scenario, as anyone who knows my Mom knows she would have stood firm in defense of anything involving her children. I also don't think Dad would have put up too much of a fuss at that point, as he wouldn't have wanted to spoil the day either.

I would love to hear other's remembrances of Mom's last day upon this earth or of the miraculous events leading up to it. I would love to hear your observations or conversations you may have had.

In the meantime,
I'm still looking forward
to getting that "play-by-play"
from Mom at some later date.

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

Mom, so glad that you have written this down. The details are perfect. I learned a number of new things from your posts. I guess I was so caught up in my own teenage world at the time that I didn't key into the details! I regret that now, but I guess that's how a teenager operates. It means even more to me now to read it. I was crying and laughing all in the same breath. I love Grandma with all my heart and I love you!

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

This was a wonderful story. I loved every word. What a tender mercy that is for you and your family.

Justin Idiart said...

It's nice to get to know grandma a bit. Sounds we are kindred spirits when it comes to not wanting to buy clothes (except I'm not that into mumus). Thank you for sharing your sacred memories.

Carrie B said...

I am so glad Misty suggested I check out your blog. What beautiful and precious memories you have of your mother?! I wish I had had the opportunity to know her. However, knowing Misty and you a bit, Annette, I'm sure I have a sense of how wonderful she was! I think the saying goes, an apple doesn't fall far from the tree... :)

Misty B. said...

I can't wait to talk to Grandma about her opinion of the day. I was in my own little wedding world and didn't take in any of the details you've relayed, I've loved hearing them. I didn't learn about Grandma's death until Dan and I arrived at the house in the morning to open presents (this was long before we had cell phones). I think one of the greatest blessings of the way all this came about was that there were so many of the ones we loved all gathered to give Grandma a great going away party! We were also together to support each other when she was gone!

Anonymous said...

Hi Annette
I have been following your blog for a while now and I thought it was time to drop you a line and say how wonderful "it" is and how wonderful you are! You are so clever and talented! I enjoy your thoughts every day. Beautiful story about your mom. Lynne has talked me into starting a Blog. I am working on it. I will let you know when it is up and running. It has been so much fun to catch up on your wonderful family! I remember some really great times in the old neighborhood. To bad we can't turn the clock back sometimes...anyway keep blogging
...I would love to get a hold of Dianne B. sometime. Can you send me her email or phone? My email is day2day2@yahoo.com. Thanks so much. Hugs to Gary..I think of the compasion he always showed me when I was going through some diffcult times, and how you helped Jennie.
All the best, Cheryl Day

the smiths said...

Annette, thanks so much for writing this down. I was bawling. I remembered most of those times, but many were new as well. I miss Grandma and Grandpa so much. Love, Christa