Crinkled Oranges

Friday, May 1, 2009

Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes

When Natalie came home late last night, she told me that a man from work asked her if I would make 50 cupcakes for his wife's birthday if he paid me for them. He and his wife had loved the chocolate cream cheese ones Natalie had taken in on her birthday.

Today, when I was telling Gary about it, he told me he had heard the whole conversation from upstairs in bed. He said he had been yelling to us, "Tell him she'll make them for $75.00." Neither I nor Natalie heard him, but he said he yelled it several times. I think he can hear the sound of business ventures even when he's sleeping. (It must be the sound of coins jingling in his ears.)

Baking or making things for love or pleasure is fun for me. But making them for money always makes me nervous. There is a certain level of expectation or quality that is expected when something is purchased. When something is volunteered, then whatever you give is a gift and perfection isn't expected. When it is paid for, well that's a different story. At least that is the way it feels to me.

So, I don't know about the whole idea of charging (with a profit) for making cupcakes. But, I'll gladly share the recipe for no charge. Especially since it's a combination of recipes that were shared freely with me. As most recipes are.


Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
FILLING
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 Oz)

CAKE
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup water
5 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white vinegar

CINDY'S FROSTING
5 cups powdered sugar
6 tablespoons cocoa (sometimes more)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup butter

Directions:
1. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and salt until combined. Fold in chocolate chips; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk the water, oil and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter.
3. Drop cream cheese filling by heaping tablespoonfuls into the center of each.
Bake at 350° for 24-26 (in my oven it was more like 20) minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Frost when cool. Keep refrigerated.

6 comments:

Pam's Place said...

This must make a huge batch of cupcakes! Were these the ones we voted on? They were reeeeeaally scrumptious!

Annette said...

This is not the same recipe, but I guess I could try that test recipe and add the cream cheese filling. Maybe I'll try that next time.

tingey said...

annette...... you don't ever have to make cupcakes or anything for money. I will respect the "OUT OF LOVE THING" or "THAT IDEA" you can be assured that I will never make you do it for money......LOL

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Cha-Ching! You are on your way, your first order. Get that Cupcake truck warmed up and the side panel signs ordered. Yup, if you hurry it will be ready by summer. Gary will keep it filled with gas.

Misty B. said...

I can just see Dad now! The funny part is that it wasn't important enough to him to actually get up out of bed.

Gary said...

Mist,

I believe you pretty well have me pegged. In my defense or indictment (depending on how you look at it)Mom said to me there aren't too many things that make me get out of bed or the easy chair :-)

Love,

Dad