Crinkled Oranges

Monday, March 23, 2009

Aunt Beth's Funeral


A very fitting funeral today for Aunt Beth.
Everyone agreed that this picture fit her perfectly.
She was well loved because she loved so well.

I felt quite amazed as we sat in the chapel waiting for the immediate family to come in from the family prayer. I looked at the three rows that were filled with all of Aunt Beth's nieces and nephews, and realized that all but three of my Grandmother and Grandfather Hall's grandchildren were in attendance at the funeral. Only one first cousin has passed away and the other two were unable to come from out of state. I thought of Gran and Dad Hall and how it must feel to see almost all of your grandchildren, ages 50 to 72, gathered together to honor their daughter and our aunt.

As I sat there I mentioned to my brother-in-law that I wished I could take a picture but that it probably wouldn't be appropriate. In spite of that, both he and Natalie offered to do it, and Natalie went up front and snapped this picture. Not a great one, because she would have had to stand on a bench to really get everyone, but nevertheless one I will treasure.

Aunt Beth was buried in the Springville Evergreen cemetery
where many family members are buried.
Here are Gary, Me, Richard, and Charlene (we missed you Tom)
standing in front of our grandparent's headstone.

Can you tell it is very windy and bitterly cold?

We roped in a few of the cousins as they were walking to their cars

On our way home I had Gary drive past Aunt Beth's house
and the house my Mom grew up in.


So Many Memories

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a darling woman. I'm glad Natalie took the photo. You are a good woman, Annette. So very good.

Her home is beautiful.

rgoldena said...

As usual, your sentiments match the occasion perfectly. Yes, a bit unsettling -- we no longer have surviving parents or uncles or aunts -- that generation, so dear to us, has passed. In some odd way, it kind of changes things. We are the family elders now, I guess. Kind of sobering -- but not without some insightful rewards. Thanks for the photos and, per usual, your thoughtful observations.