Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Rotating Shelf

Just a little explanation.
In my younger years, when I had a lot more energy and ambition,
I tried to decorate the whole main part of the house for each holiday.
Crazy? Yes!

I've slowly gotten much older and wiser,
and cut back quite a bit.
There have been times when I've wanted to cut back altogether,
especially with some of the holidays.
However, I have responded to daughter pressure
and kept it up to an extent.
I'm still reminded by Becky, one of Natalie's friends,
of the time I skipped St. Patrick's Day.
Shame on me.

So, thus the creation of the "Rotating Shelf."
Obviously, the shelf itself doesn't rotate,
but rather the contents on it do.
By containing all the decorations to the shelf
it has made the whole process much less overwhelming
and time consumming.

At any given time the shelf will contain
Holiday decorations:
Valentines, St. Patricks Day, Easter, 4th of July,
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

In between, it is filled
with whatever I'm into at the time:
Snowmen, Gardening, Flowers, Bees, Cupcakes,
Chocolate, Back to School, Fall

I have to admit that I do enjoy it, too.
That is once I get the energy
and clear a path to where it is stored.

Fortunately, I have a very nice storage room
on the 4th level of the house that my dad built for me.
It even has a big work table in the middle of it.
We call it "The Deep."
Natalie grew up thinking that all basements
were called "the Deep" and didn't understand
for a long time why no one knew what she was
talking about when she called a basement that.

I digress.
I'll have to have a posting on "The Deep" some other time.
Maybe if I ever get it looking organized, Ill even take a picture.

So, anyway, that is the story of the Rotating Shelf.
And since it is March,
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Oh, I soooo want to see "The Deep." And to have a worktable down there? I'm jealous. If I'd get rid of about half of the stuff--translate to junk--in my house I could do that.

Don't forget personal history on Tuesday. Sarah is still sick so we will probably meet somewhere else.

Your rotating shelf is indeed lovely. I clicked on it so I could see it close up.

Anonymous said...

Only you annette would come up with a rotating shelf! I would like to comment on the deep, because I remember not too long ago, I was sucked into help painting the "DEEP". But for now, i will just stick to what I know. I might be asked to help paint.......duke