Crinkled Oranges

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Earthly

Classes.
A few weeks ago in Sacrament meeting, a counselor in the Bishopric reminded us of  how in the pre-existence we all agreed to come to earth and were excited about the experiences we would have. He equated the trials and hardships we have in life to taking "classes." We are getting our education, and our life experiences are the classes. (I'm probably butchering his message, but that is what I gleaned from what he said.)

I've thought of that a lot the last few weeks. When I went to lunch with my high school friends a week ago, I learned of some very difficult trials one of them is going through. Just dealing with one of the trials would be hard enough, but they just keep getting added upon. Equating that with getting an education, I would say she is getting a double Doctorate.

It's hard to understand why some people have such difficult lives. When you're in the midst of it, I would imagine it's hard to look at what is happening as taking a hard "class."  But, perhaps looking at it that way helps with perspective.

If we do learn from our experiences or "classes," we are in a unique position to be a help and comfort to others that are experiencing the same type of situation. I think widows and widowers share a bond that only they can know. Those who have been through divorce, the same. The parents who have lost children have a club you do not want to be a part of, but gain an empathy others cannot feel.  Victims of violence, accidents, disease, or breach of trust must feel an aloneness that only someone who has had similar experiences can relate to.
 
I also believe that many of our life experiences are for the very reason that we can help others who travel the same road. I don't believe that it was a coincidence that within a couple of years after having two stillborn babies, that I was a visiting teacher to two different women who had the same type of experience. Before that, and even now as time as dulled the memories, I would not have had the courage and understanding to step in, to acknowledge, and to talk about the "elephant in the room."

No two people have exactly the same experiences or react in similar ways. Maybe what brings comfort to me will not give comfort to someone else.

But the empathy
(gained from your own experiences)
for the pain a person is experiencing,
can always be felt.
I've felt it from others
many, many times in my life.   
From family,
friends,
and even strangers.
Sometimes it comes as just
an understanding glance,
a pat on the arm,
a kind word,
a simple (or even grand) gesture
of acknowledgment. 

I really, really don't want to get an advanced degree here on this earth school.  But if I have to take some very hard "classes," and get an advanced degree, I hope I can learn from them and at least pass the classes. 

In fact, getting a high school equivalent,
and passing with B+ for effort,
would be just fine with me.

7 comments:

Mark and Stacey Roylance said...

thank you for this beautiful post! It helps put everything into perspective and i really appreciate it! :) you are one amazing woman

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

annette-
i love today's post. i, too, often wonder why some people experience such hardships. it just doesn't seem fair. missouri looked like a blast. I can imagine that it is always hard to leave. misty's family is looking great. the farm and house make missouri look like a tempting place to live.

angie

Tom Anderson said...

Annette,
I agree with Angie's comment.
Beautiful and very insightful post. I like the "class" analogy. You are a very good writer. In my mind you are getting an A+ in all your classes. You really are "one amazing woman". Love you Tom

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Annette, you have certainly have had your share of heartache. I agree with Tom. A+ for you. And you help so many others, surely there is an A+ for that too.

Unknown said...

Very beautifully written and thought provoking. I agree you get an A+ because of who you are and what you do for others

Misty B. said...

One of my favorite sayings is, "what doesn't kill us will make us stronger." I think that goes along with passing the hard classes. Great message mom! P.S. Angie, come on out. We'd love to have you in MO

tingey said...

Annette....sometimes being your friend is hard. You touch my soul today and helped me take stock of my life and the classes I am learning in? Thank you for today and for being my friend. I am a better person because of our friendship, you me and that crazy legged southpa you live with?