Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, October 25, 2009

I wish

I could capture, with photos,

the faces of the Primary Children
as they presented the annual
Sacrament Meeting Program.
It brings tears to my eyes
just thinking about their
shining countenances.

I felt such peace and joy as
I heard and watched each child,
and recognized that
I KNEW and LOVED
each of them as children of God.

I had a far different feeling at the program three years ago. Not to say that the children were not equally as beautiful or the program any less inspiring. Rather to say that I was not in a place where I could feel it.  I had been the Primary president for only a couple of months and, at that time, I did not even know most of the names of the 80+ children who now made up our new Primary. Our 16th Ward (which we had been a part of for 21 years) had been dissolved, and just two weeks after that I was called as the Primary president of the newly combined ward.


This was an extremely difficult transition for me. I had served in the Relief Society in our small and comfortable 16th Ward, and to have those relationships suddenly severed was very painful. Then, to suddenly be in charge of all the children's activities, was just plain scary. To be honest, I think "shell shocked" would be the most descriptive words to describe how I felt at that time. Thankfully, I had wonderful and supportive presidency members and faithful teachers who walked me through the first year.

I guess I go into this detail
to show the contrasts
between then and now.
Now, today,
as I looked at those children,
who I not only know by name,
but also by heart,
I felt something very strongly.

I felt God's great love for them.

3 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I agree. I was amazed at how many children mentioned scripture study and Family Home Evening. They really knew the songs. This year's was flawless.

I'm sorry for three year's ago stress but look what you've accomplished. Great job, Annette.

Tom Anderson said...

What you describe is why you no doubt are a wonderful Primary President. Children sense such things.

tingey said...

With all the jobs in the church......working in primary could be ranked as the best ever?