Crinkled Oranges

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Does a Cookie Sheet with a Lid fit in it?

That is the very important issue
that I had to resolve yesterday.

It all started when Gary wanted me to go shopping
with him for a washer, dryer and a refrigerator
for his rental units.
When we were shopping we had the bright idea that if
we were buying new appliances, we may as well buy
them for our home and put our older ones in the rental unit.

My only concern was that the refrigerator we were
looking at was possibly not wide enough to hold my
very highly valued cookie sheets (that have lids).

After calling Eileen and having her measure one of
her cookie sheets, I found that the cookie sheet itself would fit.
But, she didn't have any with a lid, and I had to factor that into it.
The salesman asked if we couldn't just buy a smaller cookie sheet.
Are you kidding?
My
six cookie sheets with lids are among my prized possessions.
A fridge that they won't slide easily into is out of the question.

So, we came home and got one of my
prized cookie sheets (with lid) and took it to the store.
Well it fit, just barely.
But in all our measuring, we discovered that the freezer
was a few inches wider than our current one,
which made us measure the total width of the fridge,
which made us measure the height of the fridge,
which made us realize that the whole thing could be too
wide and too tall for the space in our kitchen.

We came home again and measured the
space for the fridge in our kitchen.
The new fridge would be 1/2 inch too wide
and 2 inches too tall.
I guess there is a reason the paper tape measures
they have lying around Sears say this:
So, my obsession with making sure my
cookie sheets (with lids)
could fit in the fridge, saved us a lot of grief later on.
After all that measuring, we came to the conclusion that
we would just buy a less expensive fridge for the rental unit
and keep our refrigerator that fits in our kitchen.
The one that, most importantly,
holds my cookie sheets (with lids) perfectly.
But, all was not lost.
I still got a new washer and dryer out of the deal.
I'm tired just thinking about it, though.
That means I'll have to paint the laundry room
and make it look decent for a new washer and dryer.

Well, we're off to pick up Natalie from the airport now.
She's been at Comic Con.
If you don't know what that is,
just ask Natalie.
She can give you a very detailed rundown.
She's as passionate about it as I
am about cookie sheets (with lids).

3 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I got tired just reading about your lids etc. " Simplicity, Simplicity, Simplicity", that is my mantra.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

It's my mantra too. For somebody else. My mantra is more, and more complicated, and fuss with it and then make a handout and then get so involved that it consumes your life--just like your day at Sears did. Good job.

Misty B. said...

I would have loved to have been a mouse in your car going back and forth to measure. I'm sure Dad had some interesting comments.