Crinkled Oranges

Monday, July 27, 2009

A Self-Hinder Book

Dianne loaned me this very funny and insightful book.
Here are a few of the section titles:

Don't Do Anything
Worry about Things You can't Control
Complain about Your Blessings
Think About Yourself
Blame Everyone and Everything
Don't set Goals
Hold on to Grudges
Judge Other People's Motives
Be a Breath of Stale Air
Postpone Prayer
Don't Smile, Don't Laugh,
Backbite
Don't Have a Purpose
Be Easily Offended

At the end of the book he says,

"So there you have it.
You've just learned how to be totally miserable.
But there is a risk--you've also learned how not to be."

While his insights are humorous, they are also right on. Each of those chapters brings to mind memories of times I've followed the "advice" of the book.

Perhaps the one I think of the most is "Be Easily Offended." Years ago I heard a quote attributed to Brigham Young that went something like this. "He who takes offense when no offense was meant is a fool. He who takes offense when offense was meant, is usually a fool." So when I find myself dwelling on real or perceived offenses or hurts, I'll often tell myself, "Don't be a fool." Kind of harsh. I would never say it to someone else. But it is harsh enough that it helps me stop dwelling on those negative feelings (which hurt me far more than the person or situation they are directed at).

Then there's the "Complain about your blessings." I've always found it very ironic that the very things I complain about (for example cleaning the house) are a result of the fact that I'm very blessed to have a house. Complain that I have to bring groceries in, put them away, and make dinner-- what's wrong with that picture? I could have to kill a chicken in the yard, cut it up, dig up potatoes from the garden, etc., etc. How about those dirty socks and shoes laying all over the house when the kids were little. How blessed am I to have had little feet to put them on?

Wow, I'm on a roll.
But I better stop.
I have 157 more blog entries that I've
committed to making this year.
I've got to spread my thoughts out.
Tomorrow I'll write about cupcakes.

5 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

I like your non-cupcake entries. I especially liked your last one about counting our blessings.

tingey said...

I like the non-cupcake's too. This was a good blog tonight, you were on a role. I hope you didn't get the idea after talking with me?

Tiffany said...

I'll need to get that book. It looks great. I think my oldest could learn a few things from it too!

Angie Crompton Murphy said...

love it annette.
i've got to remember that as i fold endless laundry...

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Love it. I've done most of those at one time or another, including being a fool.