Crinkled Oranges

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Small Things

We attended the funeral of my cousin's husband today.
He was just our age but had diabetes badly enough that
he had amputations on his legs.
On top of that he had MS,
so the last few years of his life he was
not able to get out much.
It was a very nice funeral and I learned things
about him I had never known.

I think I've written this before,
but funerals always remind me of how
it is the small things that we are remembered by.
The every day things.
The way people feel when they are around us.
I remember reading a quote that went something like this:
To the world you are someone,
but to someone you may be the world."

I've been the recipient of several "small" things
the last few days that mean a lot to me.

Thank you, Cheryl,
for this cookbook left on my doorstop.


I haven't seen Cheryl for years,
but she's seen my obsession with cupcakes on this blog.
When she saw this at a garage sale, she bought it for me.
How nice is that?
When I make cupcakes from this beautiful book,
you'll be the first recipient!

On the day before the shower my friend, Eileen,
asked me if I was making a nursing cover for Stephanie.
I told her I wanted to, but hadn't started.
She told me to bring fabric and she would cut it out.
She ended up having cuter fabric than I did
so she said she would use that.
Then when I called to see what notions I needed,
she confessed that she had already made it and just
needed the boning to finish it.
Now that is going the extra mile!

Here it is modeled on my still unnamed friend.


and modeled by Stephanie.

"The small things, really aren't small."



2 comments:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

You are the queen of small things. You are ALWAYS doing wonderful things for people. Your funeral--in about a hundred years--will be attended by so many the church house won't be able to hold them all. I wish I could be even 25% as nice as you.

Cheryl said...

Annette...thanks and I would love to taste some creation of yours...maybe we could have a cupcake party with twelve people and everyone brings a dozen and goes home with dozen! What do you think of that? Maybe in Sept. when it is a little cooler....however the cake balls looked like fun too. Best wishes to your family!
Cheryl