Crinkled Oranges

Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Doorbell Rang

at about noon today.
I opened the door to one of our cute neighbor boys.

Me, "Hi, how are you?"

Boy, "Good. Um, we were wondering if you have like 5 matches we could have. We don't need the box or anything."

Me: "Oh, are you like, um, doing something with your parents?"

Boy: "Well, kind of."

Me: "Oh, well, what are you doing?"

Boy: "Well, we're just going to light this little area (hand in about a 3 inch circle). Just this little tiny circle."

Me: "Hmm, well I would hate something to happen to you. Should I call your mom just to make sure it's Ok?"

Boy: "Oh, Well, maybe we don't really need them."

Me: "That's probably good. I would feel very badly if something happened to you."

Boy "Bye"

Me: "Bye"

Images flashing through my mind as I close the door:

Daily Herald Headline tomorrow:

"Cause of fire in Edgemont area of Provo uncovered.
Boys playing with matches found to be the source.
When questioned, the boys disclosed that
Sister Ashton had provided the matches."

Daily Herald Headline the day after that:

"Woman to be indicted for providing matches to minors."

4 comments:

Tom Anderson said...

Good thinking Annette. Beware of the smell of gasoline around your own house!!!JK

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Hah! I'm dying to know what they wanted to set on fire.

tingey said...

If our boy's really wanted matches.....there would be no problem in getting them. Did you think they might have wanted to join the "BLUE FLAMERS CLUB"?

Tiffany said...

i guess since they knew you were the nicest woman in the world they assumed you would give them to you! That's hilarious. Reminds me of the time Marci and I (or was it Jared?) played with matches at G. Anderson's house. That was the only spanking I ever recieved fromyou. WEll deserved I might add. love you!